Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Notes from a grandmother

Notes from a grandmother


It was love at first sight when your dad handed you over to me. You were bundled up in a hospital blanket. I can still recall that tiny dimple on your right cheek as you pursed your lips. I was desperately trying to see something of your dad in that bundle as you cradled so comfortably in my arms. But, no, you were a carbon copy of your mom. Your mom had a triumphant gleam in her eyes as she looked at you and me. She laughed when I pointed out that those dimples on your tiny fists were exactly like that of your dad. For the time being we settled for that.

It was time for us to take you home. I settled down in the car all ready to put you in my lap when your dad matter-of -factly carried you to the back of the car and buckled you to a tiny seat. I gasped but was immediately reminded that here the rules are blind even if it is a grandmother’s first love. All the way home I was nervously looking at my bundle of joy who was oblivious to all this and was sleeping blissfully.

Home sweet home, I assumed that you will be all mine, only to realize soon that you are mine but not exactly the way I thought. Your parents were hands on , what with all the classes and counseling sessions they attended prior to your arrival. I was allowed to give you an oil massage and bath, rock you to sleep and even feed you sometimes, but all these under the supervision of your efficient parents. For women like me who are accustomed to being in charge (read: bossy ), the experience of being a grandmother was pretty humbling. I learnt a lesson or two :

· Dr. Benjamin Spoke is outdated.

· Accept that your parents are adults fully capable of looking after you.

· It takes time to be a fully accomplished grandmother.

But there is (almost) always a silver lining , I found out that quite soon. During my last visit , your mom mentioned that your mom and dad were planning to go out for a couple of days leaving you under my care ! My heart missed a beat .Hooray! I have graduated !!!

7 comments:

Aditi Prakash said...

i would like to know your grandson's reaction to this one!

S said...

Well, I am not going to say any thing. But on the plus side your grandson can read us this post when he has his own kid.

nalini said...

had similar experience, hope the last part comes true too :-)

Zulu said...

It is like déja vu for me. It takes me back 13 years when my daughter and son-in-law prepared the 1st formula food for my 1st grandson, without my help!

nandakumar said...

But it is wonderful to be a grand parent. Exiting years really !

random rattles said...

Welcome to the club of American babies' Indian grandmas !

Itmatters18 said...

I can comment only after a personal experience, which will be sometime in April, 2012. By then my grandson will be eight months old. I won't be surprised if he starts crying when a stranger cuddles him. But i'll deal wiht it wisely, I hope.