Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Brush With Nature


Their numbers increased. Colours changed , white, green, pink, yellow ,the list became endless. Slowly and steadily allopathic tablets have gained more and more access to my body without much improvement in my condition. I was feeling thoroughly frustrated and depressed. Then one friend, who works for Gandhiji Naturopathy Hospital

suggested, why not try naturopathy ? Perhaps it was the right moment. I packed up and left for this place in a nearby town .

10 days of disciplined stay and my whole life style changed. No tea,no coffee. On the first day by evening my head was splitting. I was itching to have an aspirin .The doctor laughed but consoled me “ Withdrawal symptoms !Your body is reacting . You will be alright by tomorrow.” He prescribed a wet towel for my forehead ! And I slept like a baby.

The actual treatment started the next day. Various packs, massages ,baths,concoctions and medicines made from herbs, ……

Food was anything but imaginative. Rice/chappati/wheat puttu/,dosa , were served with boiled vegetables, dal,tomato chutney and salads with minimum salt, totally oil-free .No red chilies ,no tamarind . Even to think of sugar or pickles was blasphemy . Occasionally a concession was to given a tiny bit of jaggery.

Initially I found the whole exercise exciting. But the novelty wore off after a couple of days . I grew restless and started looking for that famous light at the end of the tunnel.

But after a week, when the blood test results came I realized the wisdom behind this age old medical practice. My body and mind started cooperating with the treatment. And it started giving better results . The dosages of tablets were reduced .A healthier, happier me came home, rejuvenated and relaxed.

But the real challenge has just started. Away from the watchful eyes of the doctors it is easy to get succumbed to temptations. Remember, it is a life- long vigil. But let me not think about it now. As Cardinal Newman said :

“ I do not ask to see the distant scene, one step is enough for me .”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

looks good. now the challenge is to make a habit of it

Life@60 said...

Agreed 100 %!

nalini said...

All the best!!How I wish I have the will power to give it a try:-)